Your role is to be a passionate and enthusiastic leader of operations to provide an outstanding outback experience for clients and meet our efficiency and profitability targets. As we don’t have a dedicated HR manager, you will also be responsible for team management. It is vital that you have strong people skills and the ability to nurture and motivate our team. An important aspect of the role is making sure all staff understand their key performance indicators and that they are supported and acknowledged in achieving excellence. Any problems with performance should be quickly addressed in line with best-practice HR standards.
The position is based in Longreach where our operations cover award-winning tours including a unique stagecoach ride, river cruise, outback station visit and day tour to Winton. Our accommodation currently including new heritage-inspired The Stable and The Staging Post. The Welcome Home facility also has the Reception, Café, Tearoom & Restaurant, Conference rooms and retail space for the souvenirs and product ranges. We welcome both individual visitors and groups (including school tours) and have new group function and conferencing facilities.
Main responsibilities and activities:
- Oversee day-to-day operations of reservations, accommodation, Welcome Home operations and immersion experiences to meet our goals and targets. (Content of the experiences and product lines for retail are already established so your role is a support one ensuring the right staffing, equipment etc.)
- Manage and monitor budgets, expenditure and profitability for the designated operational areas.
- Ensure high levels of client satisfaction aligned with our brand promise.
- Manage a team of approximately 20 people with different levels of experience and dependency, delegating where appropriate. Allocate available people according to project needs and priorities in accordance with each division’s manager.
- Motivate and nurture the team, build team spirit and help the team live the brand culture and values.
- Establish KPIs, make sure staff are meeting them and that proper HR practices are followed.
- Conduct annual, probationary and ad-hoc performance reviews of operational staff.
- Maintain or enhance systems and procedures for efficiency and profitability without compromising the guest experience.
- Identify business risks and opportunities and report them as appropriate.
- Submit a weekly report on activities including numbers of bookings, total sales (tours, accommodation, retail and catering), accommodation occupancy levels, costs, staff issues and any concerns.
- Oversee and maintain a safe workplace, enhancing safety procedures where necessary.
- Ensure security of people, equipment, money, information and buildings.
- Identify the need for any additional promotion or communication material and liaise with the GM to get this produced.
- Follow and enforce our Code of Conduct Book, workplace health and safety guidelines, non-discrimination values and other relevant professional standards.
- Live the brand values as an example to staff and help build a positive brand culture and reputation.
- Fill in for absent team members as necessary and do some hands-on reservations and other tasks in the off-season.
Qualifications and experience:
- Experience in a similar role with proven results
- Experience managing a customer call centre or similar would be an advantage
- Experience in the tourism sector would be highly regarded
- Relevant business management and HR qualifications are an advantage.
- Agreed salary determined by experience and skillset